Foreign Direct Invest / Corporate / M&A
Jafa & Javali's corporate team has in depth knowledge and expertise in all areas of corporate practice (including advising on foreign direct investment, business formation, merger and acquisition, asset transfers, joint ventures). The corporate team advises overseas clients on India entry/investment strategies, negotiates and prepares all types of business agreements.
Intellectual Property Rights ("IP")
The IP department of the Firm handles and advises clients on the following matters:
- Filing and registration of trademarks, copyrights, patent, designs;
- Advising on prevention of piracy, infringement and anti-counterfeiting measures;
- Conducting IP due diligence and audits;
- Developing prosecution and enforcement strategies, including instituting appropriate legal proceedings in court in respect of passing off and infringement;
- Drafting license, assignment, registered user, technology transfer, name-license and confidentiality agreements.
Dispute Resolution & Arbitration
Hiring the right legal advisers and law firm is often half the battle won. Our dispute resolution practice area covers the following:-
- Commercial Litigation
- Consumer Disputes
- Employment and Human Resources
- Unfair and Restrictive Trade Practices
- Intellectual Property Disputes
- Money Laundering
- Company Law Disputes
- Debt Recovery
- Media and Entertainment
- Contractual Disputes
- Real Estate
We devise strategies and tactics to protect our client's interest and help them in achieving their desired results. The Firm has maintained a strong presence in alternate dispute resolution processes, more particularly, in domestic and international commercial arbitrations, including in London. The Firm's litigators appear and aggressively enforce its client's rights and defend their interests in all judicial forums i.e. Supreme Court of India, High Courts, District Courts, Tribunals, and quasi-judicial authorities.
Partner, Mr. Kirit S. Javali also has niche expertise on legal and regulatory issues arising in the agricultural biotechnology, including on issues relating to National Bio Diversity Act and Seeds Act, 1966. He also advised clients in this sector on Intellectual property rights. He has been regularly writing papers in leading biotechnology magazines and newspapers in India namely, in the Biospectrum magazine, some of them are as follows :
- Re-think the Biotechnology Regulatory System"
- Foreign Direct Investment in the Biotechnology Sector"
- IP Audit is vital for success"
- Keeping the Secrets in Biotech"
- Say Yes to Drugs" - Economic Times.
Banking & Finance
Jafa & Javali has acted for multinational banks and has experience of advising on acquisition, corporate loans, external commercial borrowings, due diligence.
Jafa & Javali renders broad spectrum of real estate advice, including conducting property due diligence pertaining to title and ownership rights, drafting contracts pertaining to leasing, purchase and sale, stamping and registration of documents, zoning and permitted usage of the properties.
The Firm is currently advising a number of multinational companies including several companies in the IT sector, on employment and service related issues. It has also been representing clients before various courts and tribunals, ranging from basic domestic enquiries to cases before the Supreme Court of India. The Firm is extensively involved in advising and drafting of employment agreements, employee handbook, consultancy agreements, service bonds, deputation agreements, grievance settlement procedures, policies to prevent sexual harassment, leave policies, rules & regulations.
Recommended by the Asia Pacific Legal 500 www.legal500.com for Banking, Finance & Capital Markets, Corporate/M&A, Dispute Resolution, Intellectual Property, Projects & Energy, Real Estate.